Named after Kansas City crime and justice advocate Alvin Brooks, the Brooks Institute/Center
of Excellence is a new initiative centered on crime prevention, criminal justice and
contemporary issues associated with violence. This Center of Excellence will:
- Expand on the criminal justice curriculum at Penn Valley.
- Create service learning and internships in collaboration of the Ad Hoc Group Against
- Develop a lecture series inviting local and national speakers to engage the community
in the development of action steps.
- Create a Midwest think tank on crime and violence.
- Become multifaceted to include research on various topics of crime and violence, policy
development around crime for review by local leadership and the preparation of students
for various positions and jobs beyond traditional criminal justice positions.
- Actively engage students and the community in discussion on crime that can guide them
in their roles and responsibilities in creating a more safe and productive community.