All-Campus Graduation Ceremony
7 p.m., Thursday, May 14
Download the graduation information packet.
301 West 13th Street,
Kansas City, Missouri
Municipal Auditorium occupies the block bounded by 13th, 14th, Wyandotte and Central streets. It is adjacent to Bartle Hall.
The main underground parking lot across the street from Municipal Auditorium has space for 1,000 vehicles ($7). There are 10 other public or private parking lots in the area, with prices ranging from $5 to $10 per car.
May 14, 2015 at 7 p.m.
If you have a disability and need special accommodations for the ceremony or entry
to the venue, contact Ashley Fagan at Ashley.Fagan@mcckc.edu or 816.604.1426 no later than April 17, 2015.
Your attire: what to wear
- Your cap and gown are black. Make sure you wear complementary colors under your gown
as there is a slight “V” neckline in the gowns and a portion of your shirt will show.
Also, the bottom of your legs and feet are visible, so wear appropriate shoes (no
- Caps are worn on the top of the head, not tilted off the back or side. Hairpins will
help secure your cap in place.
- Your tassels should be worn on the right, front-side of the cap until you are told
to move them to the other side. The color tassel you receive is based on the ca.m.pus
where you applied for graduation:
Blue River — dark blue and white
Business & Technology — teal
Longview — royal blue and gold
Maple Woods — green and white
Penn Valley — red and white
- The only accessories allowed over your gown are Phi Theta Kappa,honors or student
leadership stoles/cords. See your campus life and leadership office for details.
- You should have received five complimentary announcements with your cap and gown.
If you would like to buy personalized announcements, you may order them at your campus’
graduation fair or on-line at www.jostens.com.
- Be sure to mail your announcements to guests at least ten days prior to graduation.
- Tickets are not required to attend the graduation ceremony. You may invite as many
friends and family members as you wish.
- Municipal Auditorium occupies the block bounded by 13th, 14th, Wyandotte and Central
streets. It is adjacent to Bartle Hall.
- The main underground parking lot across the street from Municipal Auditorium has space
for 1,000 vehicles ($7). There are 10 other public or private parking lots in the
area, with prices ranging from $5 to $10 per car.
- ADA accessible parking is available in Barney Allis Plaza garage on level 2 at the
south end. These parking spaces are near the tunnel that leads to Municipal Auditorium
and the Convention Center.
- There will likely be other graduations occurring at or around the same time as yours,
so let your guests know they should plan to arrive early
Before the ceremony
- Doors open at 5 p.m.
- ADA accessible seating is located on the upper level to the right of the stage. Use
elevator in the west hallway to access seating. These spaces will be clearly marked.
- Professional photographers will be available both inside and outside from 5:00 – 6:00
- Commencement line-up begins at 6:00 p.m. on the Mezzanine Level of Municipal Auditorium.
Assistants will organize the line-up.
- A ceremony program will be in your seat, so do not take one from the ushers. Programs
for your guests will be available at the main entrance.
- You will not be allowed to carry anything with you during the processional except
the Reader Card you received in your Graduation Information Packet. This card will
be used to announce your name during the ceremony. Fill it out in advance. If you
have a concern about the correct pronunciation of your name, speak with the Dean of
Students on your campus before the ceremony.
- Make sure you silence your cell phone before the procession begins.
During the ceremony
- We will begin the ceremony with a processional promptly at 7:00 p.m. Marshals will
lead the processional and provide direction to you throughout the evening.
- Walk slowly down the aisle, one arm’s length behind the person in front of you. When
you reach your seat, face the podium and remain standing until you are told to be
- You will receive cues from the podium when it is time to “walk.” When it’s your turn,
hand your Reader Card to the individual who will read your name, then walk (no dancing,
running or other gestures) across the stage and shake hands with the president or
chancellor. You will receive an empty diploma cover.
- Your picture will be taken three times: once before you go on stage, when you are
shaking hands with the president or chancellor, and again as you exit the stage.
- After the conferring of degrees, you will be told when to stand for the recessional.
Marshals will guide you out of the arena, through the main entrance, and out to a
blocked off street area in front of Municipal where you will be able to re-connect
with your guests.
- DO NOT wait inside the entrance of Municipal to find your guests, as it will be extremely
After the ceremony
- The photographer from Grad Images will contact you about proofs of the photos taken
during the ceremony.
- Your diploma will be mailed to you six to eight weeks after you graduate to the address
in our system. Log in to your “myMCCKC” account and make sure your mailing address is correct.
REMEMBER to follow the MCC Code of Conduct
The MCC student code of conduct is in effect for the commencement ceremony, including
Use, possession, or distribution of alcoholic beverages and/or illegal drugs and controlled
substances on college premises or AT ANY COLLEGE SPONSORED ACTIVITY, including being
under the influence of alcohol or drugs/controlled substances, is strictly prohibited.
For more information about MCC’s student code of conduct, go to mcckc.edu/codeofconduct