Frequently asked questions
Campus Location(s):Business & Technology
Program Coordinator: Cecil Davis, 816.604.5409
How long does it take to earn a certificate or degree?
- Job-Ready certificate -15 weeks
- HVAC certificate - approximately 1 year
- HVAC associate's degree - 2 years
How much does it cost?
MCC is a great value. Our tuition is one of the lowest in the area - about 1/3 that
of public four-year schools and a tiny fraction of private colleges. We offer many
ways to pay plus a tuition payment plan to make it even easier to afford college
Calculate your estimated tuition cost here.
Will my credits transfer to other colleges or universities?
Yes. Credits earned in this program will transfer to the University of Central Missouri toward a Construction Management degree. MCC-BT credits will also transfer to Ferris State University toward a bachelor's in HVAC. Please check with an advisor for transfer info.
Can the skills I've developed on the job count toward my certificate or degree?
Yes, you can test out of certain courses.
When are courses offered?
Courses are offered every fall, spring and summer semester. Check the current class schedule.
What does it take to succeed in this work?
Some of the personal characteristics needed for this career:
- Active learning: Always learning to stay on top of your field.
- Critical thinking: Ability to work smart.
- Dependability: Responsible, reliable and dependable to fulfill obligations.
- Integrity: Honest and ethical.
- Cooperation: Maintain a positive, pleasant attitude to work in a team environment.
- Attention to detail: Ability to focus and be thorough with details.
- Initiative: Willingness to take on tasks, responsibilities and challenges.
- Stress tolerance: Ability to accept criticism and being able to deal rationally with stressful situations.
- Independence: Ability to work with little or no supervision and depend on yourself to complete
- Persistence: Ability to stick with difficult job tasks in the face of adversity.
What are the advantages of taking classes at MCC?
MCC delivers the most cost-effective technical career preparation in Kansas City,
MO. We are a publicly funded college with quality programs and full accreditation.
We deliver the most cost-effective technical career preparation in Kansas City, MO.
We are a publicly funded college with quality programs and full accreditation.
- State-of-the-art labs with the same equipment you'll use in the industry
- Heat pump lab including geothermal equipment
- New construction system installation trainer
- Fabrication lab
- High-tech classrooms with interactive whiteboards
- Nine instructors with 20+ years of experience each
- We are approved by North American Technician Excellence (NATE) and ESCO Institute,
the leading certification programs for HVAC technicians.
- Our graduates are in demand by climate and refrigeration employers.