Director of Professional Nursing: Evelyn Claiborne
Program Coordinator: Gina Taylor
For program information please call 816.604.4175
Office hours: Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Applicants must submit their application online through the link provided under "To Apply."
To apply for the current application period (January 16th - February 5th), with classes beginning August 2019 is closed.
*NOTE: Applications are only available during open application periods.
(next evening/weekend cohort is January 2020)
Professional Nursing Admission Requirements
All requirements must be met by all applicants prior to the start of any given application period. This includes those students with degrees and previous college course work.
- Apply to MCC.
- Submit all non-MCCKC official transcripts to the Student Data Center. Transcripts must be received from all colleges and universities you have attended before the start of any given application period. Send official transcripts to: Metropolitan Community College, Student Data Center, 3200 Broadway, Kansas City, MO 64111.
- Take the ACCUPLACER® test at MCC. Test scores must be less than three (3) years old. Student must meet or exceed the required scores in all three sections; Algebra, Reading, and Writing. All required scores must be obtained on either a first or second attempt when taking the test. Failure to meet the required scores on the second attempt will require the student to take the indicated required classes. Students will not be eligible to apply until the required course(s) listed (see table below) have been completed with a grade of “C” or better prior to the start of any given application period. Failure to take all three sections of the ACCUPLACER® will result in the application being removed from the applicant pool.
- ACT/SAT scores will not be accepted in place of ACCUPLACER® scores.
|Subject||Score Required||Your Score||Required Classes|
|If not a 237 in the Advanced Algebra & Functions (AAF) level|
|*200 through 240||MATH 31 & MATH 95 in that order|
|*241 through 300||MATH 95|
|*Tested in Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra & Statics (QAS) level|
|Reading||256||213 through 229||READ 10/30, READ 11/31, READ 100, in that order|
|230 through 247||READ 11/31 & READ 100, in that order|
|248 through 255||READ 100|
|Writing||246||200 through 231||ENGL 28/80 & ENGL 30/90, in that order|
|232 through 245||ENGL 30/90|
- Complete the three pre-requisite course requirements with a grade of “C” or better
AND a minimum pre-requisite of 2.75 GPA. GPA is based on program pre-requisites only.
- Any course taken for credit by examination (CLEP) or A/P will receive a grade of "C."
- PSYC 140, CHEM 105, plus BIOL 109 or BIOL 110 & BIOL 210 (BIOL 110 & BIOL 210 together
equals BIOL 109). These must be completed prior to the start of the application period. Science courses
cannot be greater than five (5) years old at the time of application
- *If BIOL 100 Intro to Cell Biology was completed, it cannot be greater than five (5) years old at the time of application.
- If BIOL 100 is greater than five (5) years old at the time of application, CHEM105 will need to be completed prior to applying.
- If CHEM 105, BIOL 109 or BIOL 110 & 210 are greater than five (5) years old prior to the start of the application period but are less than ten (10) years old, the will be “grandfathered” in by BIOL 208- Microbiology, as long as BIOL 208 Microbiology is not greater than five (5) years old at the time of the application.
- If BIOL 208-Microbiology is greater than (5) years old at the time of application, it must repeated in order to receive the ranking point.
- Take the ATI TEAS exam.
The TEAS ATI exam must be taken prior to the start of the application period. A minimum total adjusted score of 60.0% must be obtained on either a first or second attempt in taking the exam. Failure to meet the required scores on the second attempt will make you ineligible to apply to the program. Go to ATI website (www.atitesting.com), print a copy of the ATI TEAS, upload it to the online application during application period only.
Professional Nursing Admission Ranking Points
Admission criteria to the program are subject to change without notice. If changes are made to the admission criteria, the applicant will need to meet all requirements that are in effect at the time of application. Plus, successful completion of the requirements necessary for admission to the program does not guarantee acceptance to the program.
Once accepted into the nursing program, students will attend a mandatory meeting to discuss the following next steps and the required information below:
- Background check
- Health records
- Certified Profile
- Physical exam
- Immunizations for: chicken pox, measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis, influenza, hepatitis B (waiver accepted for Hepatitis B immunization)
- Recent photo on file
- CPR training
- Family Care Safety Registry
- Drug screen to be done at the site required by MCC. A positive screen may result in further requirements and a delayed entry into the program.
- Reliable transportation: Assignments to clinical sites are done on a random basis. Many sites are not accessible by public transportation. NOTE: Clinical sites are within the 60 mile ratios of MCC-Penn Valley.
- Child care, if needed.
- Work schedule that is flexible to accommodate class and clinical requirements.NOTE: Clinical schedules are not typically available until close to the start of the semester.
- MCC requires a plan for payment of program costs on the day of enrollment.
Our A.A.S Professional Nursing Degree two-year program gives you hands-on experience and excellent instruction in our state-of-the-art Health Science Institute. Our program prepares you to apply for the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses. *Completing the program does not guarantee licensing from the State Board of Nursing. For additional information, go to moga.mo.gov.