Skip to main content MCC Crescent Shape Search RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram chevron pointing down

MCC requires all F-1 students carry health insurance in accordance with USCIS regulations and/or MCC policies. 

Please contact The LewerMark® Agency directly at 866.743.7732 for questions regarding your insurance policy or coverage, the status of your filed claim, receipt of premium or verification of coverage, or for a list of providers.

MCC international students can also go to a Take Care Health Center located within many Walgreens' stores. No appointment is required and the centers are open 7 days a week. Services include minor injuries, respiratory illnesses, vaccinations, and skin conditions. For a complete list and to find a location near you go to Walgreens Healthcare Clinic. There is no co-pay for MCC international students. Do not forget to present your health insurance card.

For the 24 hour Nurse Help Line call 800.769.1259 or visit the MCC LewerMark website. Translators are provided free of charge.

Please remember that if you bring your spouse and/or children with you, they must also be adequately insured.

Emotional Care/Mental Health

In the U.S., emotional well-being is an important part of overall health care. For some international students, speaking with a professional counselor may be a new experience – especially for those from cultures in which problems are solved with the help of family members, friends, or religious/spiritual leaders. Seeking counseling does not mean that there is something wrong with you, or that you are "crazy." It just means that you could use some help feeling better and making the most of your time at MCC.

Download informational flyer to learn more about this program.

Dental Care

Your student health insurance does NOT cover dental services. If you would like to have your teeth examined and cleaned, you can make an appointment at Johnson County Community College's Dental Hygiene Clinic for a small fee.  The clinic is located  approximately 20 minutes from MCC-Penn Valley at:

Johnson County Community College
Science Building, Room 210
12345 College Blvd.
Overland Park, KS 66210

You can schedule an appointment by calling 913.469.3808.

Dental services are provided by dental hygiene students and the first visit usually takes approximately 3 hours. The website provides information about current costs, babysitting services, and directions. You must complete the online Request for Appointment form before visiting the college.

Doctor's List

In the U.S., most illnesses are treated by a general or family doctor. The following is a list of doctors within 5 miles of the Penn Valley campus. If your general doctor is unable to heal you, he/she will refer you to a specialist. The International Student Office has a list of specialists within 5 miles of campus.

We cannot guarantee that a particular doctor will remain in your network throughout the term of your enrollment. You should always ask if your doctor participates in your plan before obtaining medical services. You can also call the customer service number on the back of your membership card to see if the doctor you have selected is a member of the network.


Primary care clinics provide outpatient services for people with little or no insurance. Cost ranges from free to an amount the family can pay based on income.

  • Kansas City Care Clinic offers adult, adolescent, family, gynecology and family planning, dermatology, mental health, dentistry and HIV services.  The clinic is located at:

    3515 Broadway
    Kansas City, MO 64111
    Phone: 816.753.5144

    5119 E. 24th Street
    Kansas City, MO 64127
    816.753.5144 ext. 350
  • Take Care Health Centers offers no co-pay services to MCC international students for minor injuries, respiratory illnesses, vaccinations, and skin conditions. No appointment required.
  • University of Kansas JayDoc Free Clinic is a student-run clinic that provides non-emergency urgent and preventative care to the uninsured and underinsured populations of Greater Kansas City. The general clinic is open Monday and Wednesday evenings, and specialty clinics operate on Tuesday evenings. JayDoc also provides patients with referrals to other clinics in the Safety Net system to ensure an ongoing home for medical care.
  • Samuel U. Rodgers Community Health Center and Dental Clinic offers pediatric, women's health, obstetrics/gynecology, adult, geriatric medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, laboratory, adult day care, social services, behavioral health, psychiatric services, gambling addiction counseling, and substance abuse treatment and counseling. The clinic is located at:

    825 Euclid
    Kansas City, MO 64124
    Phone: 816.474.4920
    Cost: based on income and family size
  • Swope Health Services offers pediatric, women's health, obstetrics/gynecology, and adult medicine. Other Services include: dentistry and oral surgery; vision services; pharmacy; laboratory; radiology; HIV/AIDS services; behavioral health including anger and stress management; parenting training; children and adolescent services; substance abuse treatment; and psychotherapy. The clinic is located at the following locations:

    3801 Blue Parkway
    Kansas City, MO 64130

    3526 NE Vivion Road
    Kansas City, MO 64119

    2726 Brown Avenue
    Kansas City, KS 66104

    1029 N. 32nd Street
    Kansas City, KS 66102
    Cost: based on income and family size

Other local health care resources:

Common Questions

Why do I need insurance?

Medical costs in the United States are very expensive. Most students could not afford to pay for the expenses related to a serious accident or illness without the help of insurance. MCC has chosen this plan based upon the benefits, costs (premium) and the reputation of the company.

What expenses are not covered by this insurance?

Some examples of non-covered expenses include: pre-existing conditions, vision care, dental care, etc. A complete list can be found in the brochure.

Does my insurance pay for expenses related to my teeth?

No! Your insurance will cover some of the costs related to repair your natural teeth - but only if the problem is a direct result of an accident.

What is the copay?

You are responsible for this amount when you seek medical care or prescription drugs. For example: The doctor bills total $450. If the doctor is in the PPO network, you must pay the first $15. If the doctor is not in the PPO network, you must pay the first $15 and 20% of the remaining bill. Your insurance company will then pay the covered expenses of the remaining $400. You are responsible for the deductible for each illness or injury.

What do I do if the doctor makes me pay the entire bill?

Always tell your doctor's office that your insurance will pay most of the expenses at 100% after the $15 copay. Show them your insurance I.D. card, ask them to contact the LewerMark Agency at 800.821.7710 and to send the bill to the LewerMark Agency. If the doctor's office will not accept this arrangement, you will need to pay the bill and send copies of the bills with a claim form (accident and sickness questionnaire) to the LewerMark Agency. The LewerMark Agency will reimburse you for the covered expenses. The claim form is available on the LewerMark website.

How do I get reimbursed for the cost of medicine (prescription drugs)?

Pharmacies will not send your bills to the insurance company. You will need to pay for the prescription drug and send copies of the receipt with a claim form (accident and sickness questionnaire) to The LewerMark Agency for reimbursement.

Should I go to the hospital at night if I don't feel well?

You should always seek medical attention when necessary. However, if you are not having a serious or life-threatening situation, you should go to the doctor the next day. Your deductibles are higher for hospital bills, therefore you will pay more if you go to the hospital emergency room. You may also call the 24-hour Nurse Help Line at 800.769.1259. This is a free service offering health advice anytime. Bi-lingual nurses and translators are available to assist you.

What is a claim form (accident and sickness questionnaire)?

This form explains to the insurance company the details of your sickness or accident. The form must be filled out completely, signed by you and sent to The LewerMark Agency along with copies of the medical bills. Always keep copies for yourself.

Where can I get a claim form?

Claim forms (accident and sickness questionnaires) are available on the MCC LewerMark agency website or by calling 800.821.7710.

What coverage do I have when I travel?

Your insurance will cover your medical costs in every country except your home country.