The College's first location at 11th and Locust streets downtown
Junior College mural project, 1948
A 1965 chemistry class
MCC-Longview students, 1970s
MCC's centennial seal (seen at 2016 commencement)
The new mascot
1915: The Kansas City School District creates the Kansas City Polytechnic Institute at 11th and Locust streets to provide convenient postsecondary education for students. [ From the archives: KC’s ‘first city college’ opens downtown ]
1919: The Polytechnic Institute becomes the Junior College of Kansas City. Post-World War I enrollment swells to 1,341. [ From the archives: ‘Exciting things were taking shape’ ]
1942: The College moves to 3845 McGee St., the former Westport Junior High School. This facility offers four floors of classrooms and a chemistry lab as well as a cafeteria, men’s and women’s gyms, and a swimming pool. [ MCC student murals created in the 1940s turn up in old Westport school ]
1945: The passage of the G.I. Bill and the return of veterans from World War II overloads the McGee facility. As a result, classes are scheduled from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. five days a week.
1954: The segregated Lincoln Junior College is consolidated with the Junior College of Kansas City. This was the year of the landmark U.S. Supreme Court case Brown v. Board of Education, which found separate public schools for black and white students to be unconstitutional.
1964: The Junior College District of Metropolitan Kansas City is created when seven suburban school districts join forces with the Kansas City School District. The new 400-square-mile MCC district includes parts of four counties and is governed by a Board of Trustees. To that point, the junior college had been run by the KC district.
1965: Voters approve a $25 million bond issue for construction of new campuses.
Late 1960s: TheJunior College District leases a building at 560 Westport Road to alleviate crowding at the main campus. Meanwhile, the College hires a consulting firm to recommend sites for new campuses. Land for the north and south campuses (which would become Maple Woods and Longview, respectively) is easily obtained, but the “urban” campus (eventually Penn Valley) presents the challenge of finding a tract that is large enough, affordable and centrally located. [ How did MCC’s campuses end up where they are? ]
1969: The three campuses open in interim facilities. Transfer programs and business, data processing, engineering, law enforcement and secretarial science classes are offered at all three locations. More expensive specialized programs are assigned to single campuses: health occupations at Penn Valley, automotive technology at Longview, and aviation maintenance at Maple Woods. [ From the archives: Maple Woods campus opens, with classes held in churches ]
1976: MCC launches Pioneer, its fourth campus, as a “college without walls” to bring classes to the community at convenient locations throughout the district. Pioneer, which had administrative offices and classrooms at 18th Street and Prospect Avenue, was absorbed by Penn Valley in 1987 and eventually closed.
1997: A fourth permanent MCC campus is created by consolidating locations in Blue Springs (opened in 1984) and Independence (opened in 1995) to form the Blue River campus at its current location in eastern Independence. [ From the archives: Before Blue River, there was a Blue Springs campus ]
2001: MCC’s Longview campus is singled out for national praise in a special issue of Time magazine produced in conjunction with the Princeton Review. Longview was named a “College of the Year” because of its Writing Across the Curriculum program.
2002: The Business & Technology location expands to create a 340,000-square-foot facility that includes an exhibit hall and expo center. It becomes MCC’s fifth permanent campus.
2010: The MCC Foundation holds its inaugural Five Star Gala at the Marriott-Muehlebach Tower. The fundraising event honors Henry W. Bloch and the Bloch Scholars program.
2012: MCC’s first unified, all-campuses commencement is held at Municipal Auditorium downtown.
2014-15: Metropolitan Community College celebrates its 100th birthday with a visit from Kansas City Mayor Sly James, the unveiling of a new MCC seal at the 100th commencement exercises, and the Centennial Celebration gala.
Spring 2017: The College announces plans to consolidate memberships in the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) from four campus memberships to one collegewide membership. This change, effective with the 2018-19 school year, means students at any campus can play for any MCC sports team regardless of that sport’s home campus.
2018: The college community selects “Wolves” as the mascot for MCC sports teams and the institution as a whole.