Medical and Public Health Social Workers Provide persons, families, or vulnerable populations with the psychosocial support needed to cope with chronic, acute, or terminal illnesses, such as Alzheimer's, cancer, or AIDS.
Services include advising family care givers, providing patient education and counseling, and making necessary referrals for other social services.
Base salary and job outlook
- Median wages (2008): $31.95 hourly, $45,650 annual
- Employment (2006): 124,000 employees
- Projected growth (2008): Much faster than average (21% or higher)
- Projected need (2006-2016): 56,000 additional employees
Possible job titles
- Social Worker
- Medical Social Worker
- Clinical Social Worker
- Director of Social Services
- Social Work Case Manager
- Nephrology Social Worker