Skip to main content MCC Crescent Shape Search RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram chevron pointing down

Why do I need to attend New Student Orientation after my StART Session?

If you are a new student, The New Student Orientation is your gateway to a successful start at MCC. This event is a great way to connect with current students, staff and other resources, and to learn your way around.  It also helps you get your student ID, parking pass, books and all the things you need for the first day of classes.

What is the difference between an advisor and a counselor?

Advisors help select classes, plan course schedules and answer questions about transferring credits. Counselors assist with career exploration, personal development, academic challenges and short-term personal counseling. They can also refer you to community agencies.

How do I meet with an advisor?

Current students, transfer students, returning MCC students and degreed students should schedule an appointment using the online scheduler in Starfish or visit the Advising page for more options. New students should sign up for an Enrollment Session by calling 816.604.1000.

Do I need to see an advisor to register for classes?

All first-time freshman will meet with their academic advisor to create a degree plan. An enrollment hold will be in place until the degree plan is approved by an academic advisor. It is not mandatory after your first semester, however, we strongly recommend you meet with an advisor before registering for classes to make sure you are selecting the right classes for your degree plan and to discuss your academic goals. This will help you graduate on time and save money.

What is the difference between a transfer (A.A.) and a career (A.A.S.) degree?

Transfer degrees are designed for students who want to complete their first two years of college work and then transfer on to a four-year institution. Our Associate in Arts degree is the primary transfer degree but there are four others:

See an advisor for more information about transferring.

Our career degree, the Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S.), gives you technical skills for entry-level employment in the workforce. It is not designed for transfer. It is also known as a career or occupational degree. MCC currently has about 80 career programs. Although the AAS is not considered a transfer degree, we have agreements with other institutions that allow smooth transfer of credits.

If I plan to major in business, accounting or computer science at a four-year college or university, should I use the A.A.S. degree plan?

No. For business or accounting, you should use the A.A. degree plan. The A.A.S. degree is best if you are not planning on transferring to a four-year institution. For computer science degree plans, meet with an academic advisor because there are both transfer and non-transfer degrees in this area of study.

What are the requirements of the A.A. degree?

The Associate in Arts degree requires

  • 42 hours of general education courses, including learning enhancements
  • A 3-credit hour computer science course
  • 17 hours of electives
  • TOTAL: 62 credit hours
  • More AA details

What counts as a social science in the A.A. degree?

These courses meet requirements for a social science in the Associate of Arts degree plan. Two courses from two areas of study are required.

  • Economics
  • Geography (excluding 104 and 110)
  • History
  • Political Science
  • Psychology
  • Sociology
  • Social Science
  • Anthropology

What counts as a humanities in the A.A. degree?

These courses meet requirements for humanities in the AA plan. Three courses from three areas of study (one course must be literature or philosophy) are required.

  • Art History or Art 108
  • Foreign Language (101 or higher or SIGN 101 or 102)
  • Humanities
  • Literature
  • Mass Communication 112
  • Music 108, 116, or 160
  • Philosophy
  • Speech 103, 104, 106, 110, 112, 114, 128, or 133
  • Western Civilization (HIST/HUMN 133 or 134)

What counts as a physical science with a lab in the A.A. degree?

Physical science courses that count towards the AA degree include chemistry, geology, geography and physics. The course must be four to five credit hours and include a lab.

What are learning enhancement courses?

These courses are part of the general education requirements for the Associate in Arts, Associate in Arts Teaching and Associate in Computer Science degrees.

There are three kinds of these courses:

  • Writing Intensive. These give you communication skills to succeed, vital in every career field.
  • Learning Community. These link courses together and are taught by a faculty team to give added meaning to your college experience
  • Human Diversity. These help you develop a deeper awareness of race, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation and political ideology

You must complete at least a Writing Intensive course and either a Learning Community or a Human Diversity course.

What is a prerequisite?

This is a condition or requirement that must be met before enrolling in a course. To satisfy a prerequisite, you must receive a "C" or better in the course to advance to the next class.

What courses will transfer?

Our courses are accredited, and those numbered 100 or above can transfer. If you plan to transfer, meet with an academic advisor early and often. Be sure to check about electives - most bachelor's degrees accept only a limited number of them.

To see how MCC courses correspond to courses at other colleges, check out the course equivalencies page. See our transfer agreements with area colleges.

What are transfer agreements?

These are agreements MCC has with more than 25 area colleges and universities to help you transfer. If you follow one of these agreements, you can move from an associate's degree to a bachelor's degree without loss of credits or duplication of courses. See course requirements for area colleges at transfer agreements.

What is a degree plan?

A degree plan, or program plan, is a list of courses and requirements needed for a degree or certificate. Use it to plan your schedule and get approval for financial aid. All first-time freshman will meet with their academic advisors to create a plan in Starfish.

There are special degree plans you should follow for majoring in computer science, teaching, engineering, biology or chemistry to prepare for transferring to a four year institutions.

Why do I need placement testing?

Most MCC students must take placement tests. It is the best way to make sure you get the right class. The wrong class could set back your college career. If you have taken the ACT test in the last two years, you may be able to use those results to place into English, math and reading courses at MCC. Bring a copy of your ACT results to the records office before you enroll in class or before you take the placement test. Check out some sample questions for the placement test.

What is a developmental course?

Many MCC students test into a developmental course - those courses numbered under 100. Credit for courses numbered under 100 do not count toward your degree, but these courses form the foundation for success.

When are class schedules available?

The class schedule is available online three to four weeks before the start of enrollment (last week of October for spring semester; last week of March for summer and fall). A printed version is on campus one to two weeks before the start of enrollment.

How do I plan my class schedule?

To create your schedule, take a hard look at how much time you can give college:

  • How many hours do you work in a week?
  • How many hours are dedicated to childcare and personal time?
  • How many hours will you study? Allow at least two hours for every hour you spend in class.

List classes you want and make sure you've covered the class prerequisites. Some suggestions:

  • Don't take all your classes back to back - give yourself a break in the day
  • Schedule your developmental courses first
  • If you are taking 12 credit hours or more, limit the number of hours you work to 15-20 per week.

How many credit hours make me a full-time student?

To finish college on time, MCC recommends students take 15 credit hours each fall and spring semester. However, to be considered a full-time student, you must take 12 credit hours in the fall or spring semesters, six for summer.

How do I enroll?

Use your Student Center at myMCCKC to enroll in courses.

I really need help in my classes. Where can I get it?

Start with your instructor. Each instructor has office hours (listed in the syllabus given out the first day of class) when you can get extra help. If you need more assistance, visit one of the campus learning resource centers, where you can get free tutoring, help with reading, writing, math, study skills, note taking and more.

When should I consider dropping a class?

You may want to consider dropping a course if, after talking with your instructor, you see little or no chance of passing the class, or you realize you cannot regularly attend class due to unforeseen circumstances. However, be aware this could affect health insurance, child support, financial aid, scholarships or A+ eligibility. Withdraws from courses appear on your transcript permanently, so you don't want to establish a pattern. If you have questions about whether to drop a class, meet with an academic advisor.

How do I drop or withdraw from a class?

Students may drop a class through their myMCCKC student center or by visiting with an advisor. Dropping a class after the 100% refund period will result in a grade of "W" on the transcript. During the last 40% of a class, students will receive a grade for their academic progress. Student who stop attending class during this time period could fall below satisfactory academic standards and therefore receive a failing grade.

To get a full refund, you need to make the drop decision early. Refunds are based on the date you officially drop a class. Talk with an advisor before you drop. Dropping courses could affect your health insurance, financial aid, scholarships or A+ eligibility.

If I stop attending a class, will I automatically be dropped?

No. If you stop attending class you will not be automatically withdrawn. You must officially withdraw at myMCCKC or by visiting with an academic advisor. If not, your grades will be recorded as "F", which will affect your GPA and may cause other problems. Do not assume your instructor will drop you!

What is auditing a course?

Auditing lets you attend and review a class without grades or tests. No credit is given and fees are the same as for a credit course. If you wish to audit, you must declare this when you enroll.

How do I view grades or my transcript?

See your grades at myMCCKC. Once there, click on "Grades" under Academic History in the Academic section of your StudentCenter. This is the only way to view them. Grades will not be mailed to you.

Your transcript is the record of your academic progress at MCC. To see your transcripts, go to the "Other Academics" drop down box, and select "Unofficial Transcripts."

Any tips for success?

See our College Success Toolkit for pointers for being a successful student. You should also be aware of your student responsibilities.

When and how should I apply for graduation and what happens afterward?

Students should apply before the end of the semester they are completing their credential. To be included in the Commencement program, Spring and Summer graduates should apply by March 15.

More graduation information.

Still have questions? Contact Advising.


Don't miss out!

Sign up for enrollment, financial aid and tuition information to receive timely text messages by texting MCCSUCCESS to 77295 from your mobile phone.

Message and data rates may apply. Text messages are sent on an as-needed basis. This service is provided per the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. Text STOP to MCCSUCCESS to cancel or HELP for tech support.

Helpful Links

Ask an Advisor