To protect your computer from destructive programs you need three things:
- All current Microsoft Windows system patches: available from Windows Update.
- A firewall: software which monitors and limits the kinds of connections to and from your computer.
- Anti-virus software with up-to-date "definition" files: to seek out malicious programs which can run unseen in the background of your computer's system.
You can learn more about protecting your computer from the external sources provided below.
- Eight Cyber Security Practices to Stay Safe Online
Top 8 Cyber Security Practices
- Protect your PC
Microsoft Security website. Help prevent Identity Theft, Spyware and Viruses.
- Microsoft Security Newsletter for Home Users
You can subscribe to a Microsoft security newsletter here.
- Lavasoft Ad-Aware
If you would like to scan your computer for hidden "spyware," Lavasoft offers a free product.
- Zone Alarm Firewall
You can download a free "firewall" from the Zone Labs Web site.
NOTE: MCC does not endorse, guarantee, or provide technical support for any computer protection products. Install any software at your own risk.