Each year, the H&R Block Foundation (partner with the MCC Foundation and MCC-Penn Valley) awards scholarships to a number of MCC students as part of the Henry W. Bloch Scholars Program.
This scholarship provides the opportunity to earn an associate's degree from MCC-Penn Valley and continue on to the University of Missouri-Kansas City to earn a bachelor's degree*.
Since 2001, the H&R Block Foundation and the Metropolitan Community College have provided full tuition and fees for local students with a determination to succeed, regardless of their finances, test scores or life circumstances.
This award is available to ALL students entering a standard undergraduate program, not just those planning to enter the Bloch School at UMKC.
How much is the award?
- Funds to pay for tuition and fees each semester**. (Scholarship is renewable for up to six semesters.)
- A personal coach to help you learn the ropes and stay motivated.
- The opportunity to continue your education and renew your scholarship at UMKC after you complete your Associate in Arts degree (General) with an emphasis in your intended UMKC major at the Metropolitan Community College-Penn Valley.
- Encouragement to keep working towards your dream.
What are the requirements?
Students are selected to receive this prestigious scholarship based on review of the following criteria:
- Have financial need and be Pell grant eligible; nor be considered for traditional scholarships due to past academic performance or life circumstances.
- Be a graduating high school senior or have a GED/HiSET, or be a current MCC student with less than 30 credit hours attempted/earned with a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 minimum GPA.
- Be pursuing an associate degree at MCC-Penn Valley and have intent to complete their bachelor's degree at UMKC.
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States of America, eligible for in-district tuition and reside in one of the following Missouri counties: Jackson, Clay, or Platte.
*Student applying for professional programs (Dental, Medical, Pharmacy, Law) and Middle and Secondary Education excluded. Instead students must pursue a bachelor degree in a related program (example: 1. Bachelor in Arts or Science toward a Master of Arts Teaching, 2. Bachelor in Biology or Chemistry toward Professional program (Dental, Medical and/or Pharmacy).
**Recipients may not be awarded any other MCC Scholarships.
All application steps and supporting documents must be completed and submitted by October 15, 2022 to be considered for the Henry W. Bloch Scholars Program starting Spring 2023.
How to Submit Documents
At the top of each document print your first and last name, student MCC ID number or date of birth. There are 2 ways to submit your documents (email is preferred):
- Email (PREFERRED): email@example.com with the subject line "Bloch Scholars Application Documents".
- Deliver (on-campus): MCC-Penn Valley campus, Student Enrollment Center, 3201 Southwest Trafficway Kansas City, Missouri 64111-2764 (map)
How to apply
Two important parts of college applications are the letters of recommendation and the essays. When identifying recommenders, keep in mind:
- It is best to request recommendations from professors or other educators with whom you have had recent contact.
- A professor you have interacted with both in and out of class, such as through a student organization or a research project, is a great choice.
- Know your recommender well enough so that he/she can go beyond a generic letter and give a good illustration of your character for the admissions reviewers.
- Talk to the recommender to be sure he/she has all the information needed to write the letter. Provide a resume to your recommender.
- Give each your recommender enough time to complete and submit the recommendation. Aim for at least two weeks before the deadline, if not more.
Take advantage of the writing center at your high school or community college to assist you with your essay. Also, seek out the help of a professor or mentor for proofreading. Write a strong personal statement, take time to plan your essay, and do not forget to proofread.
If you have questions about the Henry W. Bloch Scholars Program, please contact the Henry W. Bloch Scholar Team at firstname.lastname@example.org allow 48 for all responses.